We'd like to thank Gulshan Kayembe, one of our associate education experts, for her help with this article and checklist.
Download our monitoring checklist
It includes sections such as:
- The pupil premium strategy plan
- Pupil progress
- Links with the governing board
Guidance: monitoring in practice
- Measure success based on outcomes for eligible pupils
- Use a robust and transparent evaluation framework and report outcomes against this
- Make evaluation an ongoing process, as strategies that have been effective in one year might not continue to be effective
- Use data that doesn't measure pupil outcomes
- Base your evaluations on the reactions of those delivering the activity
- Set vague intended outcomes from the start, as this makes evaluation more difficult
This is set out on page 7 of the DfE's guidance for school leaders on using the pupil premium.
While you're in charge of collecting evidence of the impact of all