Supporting pupils with EAL to access the curriculum

Understand the needs of pupils with English as an additional language (EAL), and find advice, tools and real-life examples to help integrate them into your school and support them to access the curriculum.

Last reviewed on 24 July 2023
School types: AllSchool phases: AllRef: 13150
  1. Identify which pupils have EAL and assess their needs
  2. Improve your school environment for pupils with EAL
  3. Support pupils with EAL to access the curriculum
  4. Support pupils with social integration
  5. Support parents and carers and maintain regular communication
  6. Learn more about supporting refugee pupils
  7. Develop staff knowledge using these resources
  8. Read about how 1 school includes EAL pupils in its strategy

Identify which pupils have EAL and assess their needs

Use our other article to understand the definition of EAL, and how to record the language(s) a pupil speaks

Remember that pupils with English as an additional language (EAL):

  • Will have a wide variety of needs
  • Will have strengths and weaknesses in different skills. 
  • Might speak English fluently (i.e. be bilingual, speaking a non-English language at home)

Have an initial meeting with the parents or carers

Use an interpreter if necessary. This is important to understand the pupil’s starting point and context, and to get to know them as an individual.

Personality – for example, whether they are normally shy or outspoken Proficiency in their native language, and whether they have any issues with articulation or fluency Educational background, including whether they have attended school before and whether they may have an existing special educational need or disability (SEND) Experience

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.