Carry out a risk assessment to identify the level of risk
You should carry out a risk assessment and use your professional judgement to determine what checks (if any) are needed.
Your risk assessment should consider:
- The nature of the work, including:
- Whether it will be considered 'regulated activity'
- The level of supervision involved (see section below for more detail on this)
- What you know about the volunteer, including formal or informal information offered by staff, parents and other volunteers
- Whether the volunteer is able to provide references from other employment or voluntary activities
- Whether the role is eligible for a disclosure and barring service (DBS) check and if it is, what level is appropriate
This is set out in paragraphs 305 to 306 of Keeping Children Safe in Education (KCSIE).
Download our template risk assessment
Use our template to help you assess for the main points above.