Contracts and terms and conditions of employment
- Conditions of service for school support staff Understand who's responsible for setting the conditions of service for school support staff in different types of schools and how pay arrangements are determined.
- Conditions of service for teachers: the STPCD and the Burgundy Book Find out whether the School Teachers' Pay and Conditions Document (STPCD) and Burgundy Book apply in your school and get an overview of the key requirements they cover.
- Continuous service Find a definition of continuous service, and understand whether it applies to a staff member who is moving between a maintained school and an academy.
Maternity and paternity arrangements 3 articles
- Keeping in touch (KIT) days Employees on maternity or adoption leave are entitled to 10 keeping in touch (KIT) days. Read guidance on how and when they can be used, as well as how to calculate pay.
- Maternity leave and pay Download our summary of the rules about maternity pay and leave for teachers and support staff. Adapt our 2 template letters, one for employees giving notice of maternity leave to their employer and the other for employers confirming maternity pay and leave details to an employee.
- Paternity leave and pay Eligible employees are entitled to statutory paternity pay and leave. Read government guidance on your responsibilities as an employer, as well as expert advice on fitting paternity leave around school holidays.
Organising working time and breaks 8 articles
- Directed time: what's covered and how to organise and allocate it Understand the rules around directed time and download our directed time calculator to help you organise and allocate the 1,252 hours for your staff during the 2022/23 academic year. Also see examples of directed time budgets from schools.
- Introducing additional INSET days Be clear on when you can introduce extra INSET days for teachers, and what you should consider before doing so.
- Lunch and breaktime supervision: staff availability and ratios Teachers employed under the STPCD as a rule can't supervise lunchbreaks, but they can supervise morning and afternoon breaks. Find out about staffing ratios required for break and lunchtimes and what you'll need to assess to keep pupils safe.
PPA time and other non-contact time 3 articles
- Management time: requirements You must give teachers with leadership responsibilities, such as subject leaders, a 'reasonable' amount of non-contact time. Find out the rules here, and see advice on how much time to give.
- Planning, preparation and assessment (PPA) time Find essential information on planning, preparation and assessment (PPA) time in just 1 page. You can also download a copy of this QuickRead as a ready-made resource to share with colleagues.
- PPA time: rules, eligibility and organisation Under the STPCD, you must give eligible teachers guaranteed planning, preparation and assessment (PPA) time. Read the rules on what you must provide, which teachers are eligible and how to manage the planning and delivery of cover lessons.
Staff leave and absence 9 articles
- Leave entitlements for staff Understand the statutory and additional leave entitlements of teachers and support staff.
- Managing staff sickness absence and attendance Reduce sickness absence among your staff by promoting wellbeing, making sure your policies are clear, and keeping on top of workplace hygiene.
- Return to work interviews: template and guidance Run positive and practical return to work interviews with this downloadable template, and read advice on how to prepare and what to cover.