Organising working time and breaks
- Directed time: what's covered and how to organise and allocate it Understand the rules around directed time and download our directed time calculator to help you organise and allocate the 1,252 hours for your staff during the 2022/23 academic year. Also see examples of directed time budgets from schools.
- Introducing additional INSET days Be clear on when you can introduce extra INSET days for teachers, and what you should consider before doing so.
- Part-time staff: attending INSET days and meetings Understand guidance around a part-time staff member attending meetings, including parents' evening and training events such as INSET days. See the rules for teachers and support staff, and whether you should pro-rata attendance.
- Part-time teachers' working time Get to grips with the rules on working time for part-time teachers and be clear on their employment conditions under the STPCD. Use our template to make a case to change a part-time teacher’s working hours or days.
- Rest breaks for support staff Understand your requirements around allowing support staff rest breaks. Find out what to do about pay if support staff members work through their break.
- Rest breaks for teachers Find out what breaks your teachers are entitled to, and read guidance from the DfE, ASCL and expert HR providers.
- Staffing ratios and availability: supervising breaks and lunchtimes Find out about staffing ratios required for break and lunchtimes, including which staff members you can ask to supervise pupils, and what you'll need to think about to help keep pupils safe.
- Staff meetings: guidance Make the most of meetings with your whole-staff workforce by carefully considering their purpose. Find out how you can reduce the impact on their workload and understand the rules on the frequency of meetings.