Employing teachers from overseas: what you need to know

Find out how Brexit has changed your requirements when hiring teachers from overseas. See how these teachers can get qualified teacher status (QTS), and understand how to recruit them – by becoming a visa sponsor or by other routes.

Last reviewed on 10 April 2024See updates
School types: AllSchool phases: AllRef: 37039
  1. Overseas applicants will need a visa or right to work
  2. Qualifications for teachers overseas
  3. Safeguarding checks
  4. The hiring process for overseas applicants

Overseas applicants will need a visa or right to work

The UK introduced a points-based system in January 2021.

All overseas nationals, including those from the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, come under it.

Applicants have the right to work in the UK if they:

  • Are Irish citizens
  • Have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • Have indefinite leave to remain in the UK

These applicants won't need a visa, although you may still need to take extra steps to check their qualifications.

All other overseas applicants will need one of the following types of visa:

The Skilled Worker visa

You're a licensed Home Office employer sponsor (see below) and have offered them a teaching

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.