Managing school staff
Conduct 2 articles
- Download our template report to record all the required details when investigating a safeguarding allegation against a staff member. Get guidance on working with your local authority designated officer (LADO) and how to store your records once the investigation has finished.
- Prepare yourself for challenging conversations with staff by following our tips on how to give feedback, develop questioning skills and practice active listening, so you can approach your meetings with confidence.
Cover and supply arrangements 1 article
Restructuring and transitions 7 articles
- If you're starting out as a deputy headteacher, understand your responsibilities and get to know your school community.
- Find out how you should consult staff about proposed changes, and use our model consultation letters to invite staff to express their views on issues such as staff restructures and changes to holiday and pay arrangements.
- Download our handover checklist to help your new SBM settle into the role. It includes tasks and information related to finance, premises management and HR.
Staffing structures 7 articles
- Make sure your staffing structure is providing value for money. Take a look at our tips and strategies for finding what cost-saving structure will work best for your school.
- Find guidance from a school leader on how you can organise your staffing structure, and have a look at how some ‘outstanding’ schools have structured their leadership teams.
- Get to grips with the different leadership structures available to you, and see examples of how schools are organising their senior and middle leaders.
Workload and wellbeing 24 articles
- Find out how 3 schools reduced workload and improved work-life balance for their staff. Use their ideas to retain great people, save on recruitment and make your school a happier place.
- It’s up to you to decide whether staff can drink alcohol at social events such as Christmas parties. Take a look at some of the things to consider, and see how other schools approach this issue.
- Learn how to use peer mentoring effectively and what peer-to-peer sessions might look like, to create a supportive professional culture in your school.