Understand your responsibilities
Maintained school deputy heads
- Play a major role under the overall direction of your headteacher in:
- Formulating the aims and objectives of your school
- Establishing the policies through which they're to be achieved
- Managing staff and resources to that end
- Monitoring progress towards their achievement
- Undertake any professional duties of the headteacher that they reasonably delegate to you
In addition, you must undertake the professional duties of the headteacher when they’re absent. This is the main difference between a deputy headteacher and an assistant headteacher – see our role comparison for more details.
This is set out in paragraph 48.1 and 48.2 (page 46) of the School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions Document (STPCD).
Academy deputy heads
Check if you're are contractually entitled to the conditions set out in the STPCD.
If you're not, your academy