We worked with our associate education expert Jenny Moss to write this article.
When's a good time to do it?
Deliver the presentation at the start of an INSET day before pupils return, and speak for no more than 15 minutes.
You could offer a breakfast or lunch to make staff feel valued from the outset.
How to introduce yourself
- Welcome staff back
- Explain that you're delighted to have been given this opportunity
- Give an overview of your background, for example:
- Where did you previously work?
- How is your experience relevant to this school?
- Is there anything you're particularly proud of from your previous roles? E.g. a successful behaviour initiative or new sustainability practices
- You could include some jokes or anecdotes to help engage with staff members
Your presentation should be in your own voice. Cover things that you're genuinely passionate about or will prioritise for change. For example:
Highlight positive things you've heard about