New headteacher's presentation to staff
Find out how to introduce yourself to staff for the first time and get advice on what you should cover to help you set the groundwork for building good relationships.
We worked with our associate education expert Jenny Moss to write this article.
When's a good time to do it?
Deliver the presentation at the start of an INSET day before pupils return, and speak for no more than 15 minutes.
You could offer a breakfast or lunch to make staff feel valued from the outset.
How to introduce yourself
- Welcome staff back
- Explain that you're delighted to have been given this opportunity
- Give an overview of your background, for example:
- Where did you previously work?
- How is your experience relevant to this school?
- You could include some jokes or anecdotes to help engage your audience
Highlight positive things you've heard about the school, including two or three things that were praised in the most recent Ofsted report, or that you observed on previous visits Recognise the effort that staff have put in over the past year to serve the school community Acknowledge a few areas