Tips for writing performance objectives
Set objectives for your SBM that relate to:
- Your school's improvement plan (SIP)
- The SBM's personal and/or professional development
Share our SBM self-assessment tool with your SBM, to help them evaluate their own progress and consider their professional objectives.
See more detail on how to write performance objectives.
Use professional standards to help you
You can use the following sets of standards for SBMs to help you develop your own performance objectives:
- The Institute of School Business Leaders (ISBL)'s professional standards (free membership is required for access)
- The DfE's School business management competency framework (it was published in 2014, but may still help you organise your thinking around SBM performance objectives)
- The DfE's guidance on Good estates management for schools
For more support, read our advice on professional standards for school business managers and performance management of school business managers.
Example performance objectives
Through discussion with their line manager and members