Carry out a risk assessment
There are no specific rules on whether you need to obtain retrospective references. You'll need to assess the risks on a case-by-case basis and use your own judgement to determine your next steps.
Use our risk assessment to help you decide whether you need to obtain references.
There's likely a higher risk if:
- Required DBS or other pre-employment checks weren't completed
- There have been safeguarding allegations/concerns about the individual
- You have performance concerns about the individual (depending on the nature of the concern)
There's likely a medium level of risk if:
- You haven't confirmed previous employment or gaps in employment
- You have attendance concerns