School financial management
Accounts and tax 7 articles
- Learn how to manage cash flow as a school business manager (SBM). See what to include in your monthly forecasts to help monitor and report income and expenditure. Download a template from the ISBL and get tips for filling out cash flow templates.
- Generate income for your school by letting your school premises. Learn how to set your costs and where to turn for advice on VAT.
- Get to grips with what you need to prepare and do when it comes to monthly budget monitoring reports for academy trusts.
Charges and voluntary contributions 4 articles
- Find out which school trips you can charge for and how much you should charge. Download our handy template to help you calculate your costs. Plus, find out what to do with any money that's left over.
- Understand what you can and can't charge for with respect to residential trips. Read guidance on when parents may be exempt from paying for elements that are normally chargeable.
- Find out what activities and equipment you can and can't charge parents for and how to request payment.
Fundraising and grants 8 articles
- Parent and carer associations are a great way to build a strong sense of community and to help your school get the extra financial support it needs. See how one PTA raised over £20,000 in a term and share their ideas with your own PTA.
- Struggling to balance the budget? Lucky enough to have parents who can help out? Read on to see how Horniman Primary School has harnessed the power of the local community to double the PTA's annual fundraising income, to maintain what parents value most about the school.
- Rural schools frequently struggle with funding and many are fighting to stay viable. Here’s how one rural academy trust used marketing to increase pupil numbers by 20% - and, as a result, boost its school’s income.
Insurance, licensing and legal 0 articles
Managing the school budget 23 articles
- Changes to the Academy Trust Handbook 2023 include looser requirements on sharing management accounts with your board, a higher threshold for related party transaction value before ESFA approval is necessary, and a new list of estates guidance to apply.
- Find out about the different ways you can allocate curriculum budgets. Download our curriculum budget formula calculator and see case studies from different types of school.
- Download our list of questions to help you analyse your benchmarking data, and find guidance from the DfE.
Marketing 5 articles
- Keeping pupil numbers up is key to keeping a rural school viable. Here's how one village school in Suffolk has steadily doubled its pupil roll to become stable again, through promotional strategies that you could try too.
- Find out what to include in your recruitment adverts and where to post them so that you stand out and attract the best candidates. Look at examples of how other multi-academy trusts advertise roles.For Trust Leaders
- Find out what to include in your recruitment adverts and where to post them so that you stand out and attract the best candidates.
Purchasing 10 articles
- Academies must include a review of value for money in their annual accounts. Read about the purpose and structure of the review, and see examples from other academy trusts.
- Read our advice on getting value for money when paying for goods and services. Find useful links to resources to help you manage your finances effectively.
- Use our template contracts register to keep a record of all of your school's contracts and service level agreements in 1 place.