How to calculate the cost of your whole-school SEN provision
Know how to calculate staffing costs for your SEN provision so you can get a better estimate of how much money you're spending on your overall SEN provision. Download our tools to help you keep track of how much each intervention costs and whether it's providing value for money.
What costs fall under 'SEN provision'?
This refers to any additional money you spend on providing support for pupils with special educational needs (SEN). You should record this separately to any provision you have in place for all pupils, as your funding for each type of provision comes from different revenue streams (read how funding for pupils with SEN is allocated in another of our articles).
Your main cost areas include:
- Staffing costs for SEN provision (including additional costs, like pension and National Insurance contributions)
- Specialist equipment and teaching resources - like auxiliary aids
- SEN services from external providers - like private therapy or medical staff
- Any designated SEN units in your school
Work out your overall annual SEN expenditure
Your school business manager (SBM) and SENCO should work together to identify individual costs, after which you can work out your overall spending on SEN provision.
1. For staff who spend all, or most, of their time on SEN