Health and safety
First aid and medical care 7 articles
- Read advice on administering medication to pupils in school, including on school trips and in the early years. Download our printable sheet of 'dos and don'ts' that staff can refer to.
- Learn how to seek permission to give non-prescription medicines to pupils, and what to do if a parent/carer doesn't consent. Plus, download and use our multi-purpose consent form.
- Find templates for recording medication administered to all pupils and to individual pupils, and guidance on how long to store these records.
Health and safety of pupils and staff 4 articles
- Get guidance on whether keeping a pet is right for your school. Learn about keeping and handling animals, and see an example of a pet policy from a school.
- Get expert advice on what to do if parents don't collect their children from school on time or fail to collect them. See examples of school policies on late or non-collection.
- Find out about your school's duty of care to pupils, when you might be held liable for an injury and how to minimise the risk of this happening.
Incident planning and response 7 articles
- Updated Get to grips with the statutory requirements for recording and reporting accidents and incidents on your school site, including the additional rules for early years settings and special schools.
- Understand when you can close your school in an emergency. Find out how and when to contact your local authority and parents, and how to request an Ofsted inspection deferral due to emergency closure.
- Understand best practice around running fire drills, and see examples of fire drill and evacuation information from a school and a local authority.
School premises: health and safety 6 articles
- Understand the statutory requirements for fire safety in schools, including risk assessments, fire alarms and staff training. Read guidance about limiting flammable materials and get expert advice from the London Fire Brigade and Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service.
- Updated Use our template to help you conduct a health and safety audit in your school.
- Download and use our checklist to assess the health and safety arrangements in your school offices, and record any actions you need to take.
Transport and visits: health and safety 1 article