School performance data
Highlights from school evaluation and improvement
Analyse School Performance (ASP) 2 articles
- Data analysis of your pupils' performance is a key part of understanding attainment and improving teaching and learning. Get to grips with how to go about it, including what to focus on and how to analyse data from ASP and IDSR.
- Prior attainment is used to work out pupils’ progress scores. Be clear on the process and which pupils are categorised as high, middle or low attainers, so you're clear when analysing your data.
National expectations of performance 2 articles
- When it comes to measuring pupil performance, it can be easy to confuse attainment and progress. Be clear about the difference so you can effectively analyse your school’s performance data.
- All pupils, including those with special educational needs (SEN), are included in whole-school progress measures. See how these are calculated, where to find the data and what you can do to monitor pupils working below the standard of the National Curriculum.
National performance data: primary 1 article
National performance data: secondary 0 articles
Performance tables and measures: primary 2 articles
Performance tables and measures: secondary 4 articles
- As progress 8 for pupil referral units (PRUs) and alternative provision (AP) academies isn't included in performance tables, read advice on how to demonstrate that your pupils are making good progress.
- Find out how progress 8 is calculated for maintained schools and academies, including changes for 2021/22. Get to grips with confidence intervals, and see how the calculations differ for pupils with missing or incomplete data.
- Progress 8 applies to special schools, to allow comparison of your scores against the mainstream average and other special schools. Understand how progress 8 is calculated for special schools and pupils with SEN, and how this data is used.
Reporting performance data 2 articles
Using data for school improvement 9 articles
- Find guidance on how to carry out data analysis of Key Stage (KS) 5 performance data. Also see the next steps to take when examining your findings.
- See how to carry out data analysis on pupil progress, what to focus on, and how to use your findings to drive improvement in your subject or department.
- Find out how to analyse your attendance data to spot patterns in absences for groups of pupils, identify reasons this may be happening, and plan your next steps.