School performance data
Highlights from school evaluation and improvement
Analyse School Performance (ASP) 2 articles
- Analysing pupil performance data Data analysis of your pupils' performance is a key part of understanding attainment and improving teaching and learning. Get to grips with how to go about it, including what to focus on and how to analyse data from ASP and IDSR.
- Prior attainment: definition and summary Prior attainment is used to work out pupils’ progress scores. Be clear on the process and which pupils are categorised as high, middle or low attainers, so you're clear when analysing your data.
National expectations of performance 2 articles
- Attainment and progress: know the difference When it comes to measuring pupil performance, it's easy to confuse 'attainment' and 'progress'. Be clear about the difference so you can effectively analyse your school’s performance data.
- Progress measures: pupils with SEN All pupils, including those with special educational needs (SEN), are included in whole-school progress measures. See how these are calculated, where to find the data and what you can do to monitor pupils working below the standard of the National Curriculum.
National performance data: primary 1 article
- Primary school performance data: pupils with SEN See the most recent national performance data for primary pupils with special educational needs (SEN) covering Key Stage (KS) 1 and KS2.
National performance data: secondary 0 articles
Performance tables and measures: primary 2 articles
- Calculating primary progress scores The DfE has shared your school's provisional progress scores with you, but will not publish performance tables for 2021/22. Understand how the 2022 Key Stage 1 to 2 progress measure was calculated, where you can access your progress scores, and what they mean.
- Key Stage 2 performance tables: which pupils are included? Performance tables will return this year, after a break caused by COVID-19. Find out which pupils should take the KS2 tests and who's included in performance tables.
Performance tables and measures: secondary 4 articles
- Alternative provision: demonstrating pupil progress Progress 8 for pupil referral units (PRUs) and alternative provision (AP) academies isn't included in performance tables. Read advice on how you can demonstrate that your pupils are making good progress.
- Calculating progress 8 scores Find out how progress 8 is calculated for maintained schools and academies, including changes for 2021/22. Get to grips with confidence intervals, and see how the calculations differ for pupils with missing or incomplete data.
- Progress 8 in special schools Progress 8 also applies to special schools, to compare their scores against the mainstream average and other special schools. Read advice on calculating progress 8 scores and on how this data is used.
Reporting performance data 2 articles
- Middle leaders’ information/data report to headteachers: guidance and template Establish consistent reporting from your middle leaders with our adaptable template so you can save time searching for the insight you need.
- Presenting school achievement data: templates Download and adapt our templates to present your school's achievement data to governors, parents or other interested groups.
Using data for school improvement 9 articles
- Analysing KS5 data Find guidance on how to carry out data analysis of Key Stage (KS) 5 performance data. Also see the next steps to take when examining your findings.
- Analysing pupil progress data in your subject or department See how to carry out data analysis on pupil progress, what to focus on, and how to use your findings to drive improvement in your subject or department.
- Analysing your attendance and absence data Find out how to analyse your attendance data to spot patterns in absences for groups of pupils, identify reasons this may be happening and plan your next steps.