Managing school staff
Conduct 2 articles
- Download our template report to record all the required details when investigating a safeguarding allegation against a staff member. Get guidance on working with your local authority designated officer (LADO) and how to store your records once the investigation has finished.
- Prepare yourself for challenging conversations with staff by following our tips on how to give feedback, develop questioning skills and practice active listening, so you can approach your meetings with confidence.
Cover and supply arrangements 1 article
Restructuring and transitions 7 articles
- Make a good start as a deputy headteacher by understanding your responsibilities and getting to know your school community.
- Find out how you should consult staff about proposed changes at your school. Download and use our model consultation letters to invite staff to express their views on issues such as staff restructures, and changes to holiday and pay arrangements.
- Download our handover checklist to help your new SBM settle into the role. It includes tasks and information related to finance, premises management and HR.
Staffing structures 7 articles
- Make sure your staffing structure is providing value for money. Take a look at our tips and strategies for finding what cost-saving structure will work best for your school.
- Whether you're thinking about setting up a shared-working arrangement or trying to get the most out of a current job share, read our top tips about how to make job sharing work in your school.
- Find guidance from a school leader on how you can organise your staffing structure, and have a look at how some ‘outstanding’ schools have structured their leadership teams.
Workload and wellbeing 25 articles
- Find out how other schools are reducing workload and improving work-life balance for their staff. Use their ideas to retain great people, save on recruitment and make your school a happier place.
- It’s up to you to decide whether staff can drink alcohol at social events such as Christmas parties. Take a look at some of the things to consider, and see how other schools approach this issue.
- Learn how to use peer mentoring effectively and what peer-to-peer sessions might look like, to create a supportive and collaborative culture in your school.