You are here:

Recording and reporting incidents on the school premises

Ref: 2692
Last updated on 6 June 2016
School types: All · School phases: All
In-depth article
What are the rules on reporting accidents on the school site? As employers, schools are required to keep an accident book and report certain incidents to the HSE. This article explains the rules and addresses some questions about injuries to staff. We also look at schools' policies and procedures.

Article tools

Want to read more?

To read this article in full, sign up for a free trial of The Key.

Membership starts from £1.46 per day and includes an unlimited number of logins for all of your senior team. If you join today, we'll also waive the £100 joining fee.

Membership gives school leaders access to:


  1. 1 An employer's duty to keep an accident book
  2. 2 Who should keep the accident book in a school?
  3. 3 Must all incidents be recorded in the accident book?
  4. 4 Can we keep an electronic record of incidents?
  5. 5 RIDDOR: the duty to report accidents to the HSE
  6. 6 RIDDOR: the duty to record accidents
  7. 7 Reporting arrangements: examples from schools

Article features

  • 14 external links

More from The Key

Conferences and CPD

One-day conference

School Business Management

The national funding formula, recruitment, budget management and income generation and more

4 Oct 2016 | Central London

Book now

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides.