Pay and progression
Leadership group pay and progression 6 articles
- Additional payments for headteachers Headteachers can receive temporary payments on top of their salary, and may still receive discretionary payments given to them in the past. See guidance from the STPCD and the DfE.
- Assistant/deputy headteachers: calculating pay ranges Understand how to set pay ranges for new assistant and deputy headteachers. Plus, find out when you should review pay ranges, how to set pay differentials and how to pay those in an acting role.
- Headteacher pay progression Understand how headteacher pay is determined and see an example pay progression policy.
Pay for additional responsibilities 6 articles
- Changing teaching and learning responsibilities (TLRs) Learn about the circumstances under which TLR structures can be changed, as well as when salary safeguarding will apply. Also get to grips with what you need to do if changing the duties of a TLR post, and whether you can phase out TLRs altogether.
- Payments for overtime and out-of-school-hours activities Teachers and support staff can receive additional payment for working extra hours, including taking part in pupils' additional learning activities. Understand the guidance and how to calculate daily and hourly rates.
- SEN allowances for teachers Know the rules on awarding special educational needs (SEN) allowances, including who should get one and how much they should receive.
Support staff pay and progression 4 articles
- Annual salary statements for support staff Understand the requirements on pay statements for support staff and see an example annual salary statement.
- Calculating pay for term-time only staff How you calculate this will depend on whether you're a maintained school or academy. Understand how calculations are determined, including information about recent updates to this process.
- Pay award for school support staff The pay award for 2022-23 has been agreed. Understand what's changed, so you can reflect any increases in your budget.
Teachers' pay: processes and procedures 3 articles
- Pay statements and outcome letters for teachers: templates Download and adapt our template pay statements and letters to inform your staff about their pay review outcomes.
- Salary deductions for unpaid leave: calculating daily and hourly rates of pay Understand how to make salary deductions for unpaid leave by calculating daily and hourly rates of pay for full-time and part-time teachers, as well as daily rates of pay for supply teachers and support staff. You'll find guidance for maintained schools and academies.
- Upper pay range (UPR): application process and criteria Find out the requirements under the STPCD for applying to progress to the UPR. Get tips to help you develop an application process that's fair and transparent, and download our template application form for your teachers to use when applying.