Recruitment and induction
- Advertising and applications
- Early career teacher (ECT) induction
- Induction and probation
- Interviewing and selection
- Interview questions and tasks: senior leaders
- Interview questions and tasks: support staff
- Interview questions and tasks: teachers
- Job offers and pre-employment checks
- Recruitment processes and requirements
Advertising and applications 3 articles
- Learn how you can advertise your vacancies and get up to speed on the expectations in Keeping Children Safe in Education for what to include in your job advert.
- Find out which roles you're required to advertise for under staffing regulations for maintained schools, and get up to speed on the expectations in Keeping Children Safe in Education for what to include in your job advert.
- Adapt our template job application form for all your teaching and support staff roles. Find out when you can ask about criminal records and be clear on your requirements when recruiting staff who are from, or have lived or worked, outside the UK.
Early career teacher (ECT) induction 6 articles
- Download our checklist to make sure you're following statutory requirements before and during early career teacher (ECT) inductions.
- There are 3 approaches to choose from to deliver early career teacher (ECT) induction. Read this advice to help you pick the best option for your school, including important factors to consider.
- Understand the types of formal and informal assessment you need to carry out during an ECT's induction and actions to take if they're not progressing. Plus, see answers to FAQs on ECT absence due to coronavirus.
Induction and probation 4 articles
- Find out what should be included in a subject leader handbook, how it differs from a subject leader file, and how it can help you prepare for Ofsted inspections.
- Find out when you should seek legal advice about introducing probationary periods, and see an example of a school's probation policy.
- Save yourself time by reading what to include in your staff handbook, and using our examples from schools for inspiration.
Interviewing and selection 6 articles
- Use our downloadable interview record sheet to set out your questions and score candidates' responses when you're interviewing for school staff.
- Know the rules and best practice for organising and running interviews for any role. Learn about who should sit on the panel, how to prepare your questions and how to stay compliant with discrimination law.
- You should seek references for volunteers to help check their suitability to volunteer in your school. Download our template reference request forms and get advice on what to do if it's difficult to get references.
Interview questions and tasks: senior leaders 16 articles
- Adapt and use these questions, record sheet and interview tasks, along with tips on what to look for in a candidate's response, to help you select the best possible assistant headteacher. They include questions specific to primary, secondary, special and faith schools.
- Use these questions and tips on what to look for in candidates' answers to help you select the best person for a deputy headteacher role in your school.
- Adapt and use these interview questions, record sheet and tasks to help you select the best candidate as your next English as an additional language (EAL) co-ordinator. See examples of what to look for in good answers.
Interview questions and tasks: support staff 19 articles
- Download these interview questions and record sheet, and use alongside the interview tasks, to help you recruit the best person for an admin position, such as a receptionist, admin assistant or officer, and PA. Plus, understand what good answers look like.
- If you're interviewing for an attendance officer, download and adapt our list of questions and suggested responses.
- Adapt and use these questions, record sheet and tips on what to look for in a candidate's response, to help you select the best person for a breakfast or after-school club co-coordinator role.
Interview questions and tasks: teachers 14 articles
- Adapt and use our interview questions and record sheet to recruit your next careers leader or adviser. Plus, use our interview tasks for a careers leader to help you select the best person for the role.
- Adapt and use these interview questions and record sheet, and see what to look for in a candidate's responses, to help you select the best candidate for the position.
- Download these interview questions and record sheet to help you recruit the best person as a primary English or literacy lead. Plus, get some pointers on what to look for in candidates' answers.
Job offers and pre-employment checks 10 articles
- Understand which checks you must carry out on agency staff such as supply teachers. Find out whether you need to get DBS certificates and what to record on the SCR, and download a template form to record written confirmation of checks.
- Use our list of checks for new staff, volunteers, governors and trustees to stay compliant with the latest statutory safeguarding guidance.
- You must make 'appropriate' further checks on staff who have lived or worked outside the UK. Find out how to mitigate risk early on in the process, assess risks with your candidates and what 'appropriate' further checks you can carry out.
Recruitment processes and requirements 7 articles
- Find out how Brexit has changed your requirements when hiring teachers from overseas. See how these teachers can get qualified teacher status (QTS), and understand how to recruit them – by becoming a visa sponsor or by other routes.
- Learn how to handle disclosures of criminal records information on a self-disclosure form or DBS check. Use our templates to help you discuss the issue with the candidate and assess their suitability for the role.
- Learn how to recruit existing staff into a new role at your school fairly, and download our handy checklist to make the process easier.