Recruitment and induction
- Learn how you can advertise your vacancies and get up to speed on the expectations in Keeping Children Safe in Education for what to include in your job advert.
- Find out which roles you're required to advertise for under staffing regulations for maintained schools. Get up to speed on the expectations in Keeping Children Safe in Education for what to include in your job advert.
- Adapt our template job application form for all your teaching and support staff roles. Find out when you can ask about criminal records and be clear on your requirements when recruiting staff who are from, or have lived or worked, outside the UK.
- Download our checklist to make sure you're following statutory requirements before and during early career teacher (ECT) inductions.
- There are 3 approaches to choose from to deliver early career teacher (ECT) induction. Read this advice to help you pick the best option for your school, including important factors to consider.
- Understand the types of formal and informal assessment you need to carry out during an ECT's induction, and actions to take if they're not progressing. Plus, find out about pay rises and appraisals after the induction periods ends.
- Find out what should be included in a subject leader handbook, how it differs from a subject leader file, and how it can help you prepare for Ofsted inspections.
- Find out when you should seek legal advice about introducing probationary periods, and see an example of a school's probation policy.
- Updated Save yourself time by reading what to include in your staff handbook, and using our examples from schools for inspiration.
- Use our downloadable interview record sheet to set out your questions and score candidates' responses when you're interviewing for school staff.
- Know the rules and best practice for organising and running interviews for any role. Learn about who should sit on the panel, how to prepare your questions and how to stay compliant with discrimination law.
- You should seek references for volunteers to help check their suitability to volunteer in your school. Download our template reference request forms and get advice on what to do if it's difficult to get references.
Browse curated lists of interview questions and tasks for roles in your school, or use our interactive tool to create a bespoke interview pack that's tailored to your job description
Interviewing for a role that's more tailored to your school? Create a bespoke list of questions and tasks to match your job description and person specificationStart
- Understand which checks you must carry out on agency staff such as supply teachers. Find out whether you need to get DBS certificates and what to record on the SCR, and download a template form to record written confirmation of checks.
- Use our checklist to stay compliant with all the pre-employment checks you need to carry out and record for new staff, volunteers, governors and trustees.
- You must make 'appropriate' further checks on staff who have lived or worked outside the UK. Find out how to mitigate risk early on in the process, assess risks with your candidates and what 'appropriate' further checks you can carry out.
- Updated Find out how Brexit has changed your requirements when hiring teachers from overseas. See how these teachers can get qualified teacher status (QTS), and understand how to recruit them – by becoming a visa sponsor or by other routes.
- Learn how to handle disclosures of criminal records information on a self-disclosure form or DBS check. Use our templates to help you discuss the issue with the candidate and assess their suitability for the role.
- Learn how to recruit existing staff into a new role at your school fairly, and download our handy checklist to make the process easier.