Lesson observations and learning walks 7 articles
- Learning walk: how to spot effective questioning Use our learning walk template to help you identify a key feature of high-quality teaching – effective questioning.
- Learning walks: how-to guide Plan and carry out a successful learning walk with our downloadable checklist and suggested areas of focus and activities by role. Use our questions to interrogate the evidence and come up with future actions.
- Learning walks: templates Use our downloadable template – which takes into account Ofsted inspection criteria – to carry out a learning walk. There are also templates that focus on specific areas: EYFS, SEN provision, the learning environment and behaviour.
Managing appraisal 8 articles
- Appraisal: 360-degree feedback forms Download our template forms for gathering 360-degree feedback for staff performance reviews, including for a headteacher, and save yourself time if you're making your own.
- Appraisal: stages of the cycle See the key phases of the performance management cycle as suggested in the DfE's optional model policy for teacher appraisal. Plus, see a case study of how 1 'outstanding' school manages its appraisal cycle.
- Appraising staff on maternity, paternity and adoption leave Understand your legal responsibilities for performance managing teachers on maternity leave. Plus, get tips on how to schedule meetings and set appraisal targets for staff on maternity, paternity, adoption and shared parental leave.
Performance objectives 20 articles
Professional standards 6 articles
- Career stage expectations for senior leaders Download and adapt our set of career stage expectations for assistant and deputy headteachers, and a SENCO, based on the Teachers' Standards.
- EYFS teachers: performance management Find out your requirements for assessing EYFS teachers, and read a summary of the early years' Teachers' Standards.
- Headteachers' Standards: summary Read our summary of the Headteachers' Standards 2020 and find out how you can use them.
Senior leadership appraisal 5 articles
- CEO appraisal process Prepare for your appraisal by familiarising yourself with the procedure, and use our guidance to help you write your objectives for the next appraisal period.For Trust Leaders
- Deputy headteacher appraisal Make sure you're prepared for your deputy headteacher's appraisal by considering objectives, development opportunities and professional standards.
- Headteacher appraisal: step-by-step process and templates Use our guidance for leaders in multi-academy trusts (MATs) to help you manage the appraisal process for headteachers in your schools. Download our templates and checklist so you're confident you've got everything covered.For Trust Leaders
Support staff appraisal 7 articles
- Admin staff: performance management Read advice on performance management for your school's admin staff, including how to use professional standards and set objectives.
- Caretakers/site managers: performance management Download an example appraisal form, and read guidance on setting performance objectives for caretakers and premises managers.
- Improve efficiency in your school office Boost the productivity and effectiveness of your school office by examining your organisational techniques, procedures and use of software. Also find examples of staff training opportunities.
Teaching staff appraisal 1 article
- Teacher appraisal: assessing performance and setting targets Understand how performance links to pay progression and find guidance on setting objectives, identifying areas for development and collecting evidence for appraisals.
Underperformance and capability 2 articles
- Capability action plan: template and guidance Be confident going into your meeting with an underperforming teacher. Read our walk-through of how the meeting will run and download our template capability action plan, so you can feel prepared for this difficult conversation.
- Capability procedures: sharing information Read guidance and advice on requirements around sharing information about capability procedures. Find out what you have to disclose to governing bodies and future employers.