Lesson observations and learning walks 8 articles
- Senior leaders at Lavender Primary School saved themselves 8.5 hours a term when they stopped formal lesson observations 2 years ago. This also improved teacher wellbeing, boosted retention, and kept teaching standards high. Find out how they did it, and how you can too.
- Use our learning walk template to help you identify a key feature of high-quality teaching – effective questioning.
- Updated Plan and carry out a successful learning walk with our downloadable checklist and suggested areas of focus and activities by role. Use our questions to interrogate the evidence and come up with future actions.
Managing appraisal 8 articles
- Download our template forms for gathering 360-degree feedback for staff performance reviews, including for a headteacher, and save yourself time if you're making your own.
- Updated See the key phases of the performance management cycle as suggested in the DfE's optional model policy for teacher appraisal. Plus, see a case study of how 1 'outstanding' school manages its appraisal cycle.
- Understand your legal responsibilities for performance managing teachers on maternity leave, and get tips on how to schedule meetings and set appraisal targets.
Performance objectives 20 articles
Professional standards 6 articles
- Download and adapt our set of career stage expectations for assistant and deputy headteachers, and a SENCO, based on the Teachers' Standards.
- Find out your requirements for assessing EYFS teachers in maintained schools and academies, and read a summary of the early years Teachers' Standards.
- Read our summary of the Headteachers' Standards 2020 and how to use them.
Senior leadership appraisal 5 articles
- Prepare for your appraisal by familiarising yourself with the procedure, and use our guidance to help you write your objectives for the next appraisal period.For Trust Leaders
- Make sure you're prepared for your deputy headteacher's appraisal by considering objectives, development opportunities and professional standards.
- Use our guidance for leaders in multi-academy trusts (MATs) to help you manage the appraisal process for headteachers in your schools. Download our templates and checklist so you know you've got everything covered.For Trust Leaders
Support staff appraisal 7 articles
- Read advice on performance management for your school's admin staff, including how to use professional standards and set objectives.
- Download an example appraisal form, and read guidance on setting performance objectives for caretakers and premises managers.
- Boost the productivity and effectiveness of your school office by examining your organisational techniques, procedures and use of software. Also find examples of staff training opportunities.
Teaching staff appraisal 2 articles
- Find out how to triangulate evidence from a range of sources to get a reliable overall picture of the quality of teaching and learning in your school.
- Understand how performance links to pay progression and find guidance on setting objectives, identifying areas for development and collecting evidence for appraisals.
Underperformance and capability 2 articles
- Be confident going into your meeting with an underperforming teacher. Read our walk-through of how the meeting will run and download our template capability action plan, so you can feel prepared for this difficult conversation.
- Read guidance and advice on requirements around sharing information about capability procedures. Find out what you have to disclose to governing bodies and future employers.