The DfE considers putting mentors 'in the classroom' with teacher trainees
The government is considering giving mentors a more hands-on role in initial teacher training by placing them directly in classrooms with trainees. The Department for Education is currently developing an "early-career framework" that will support new and trainee teachers, following its decision to lengthen the induction period new recruits go through. But ITT experts said mentors would not be able to take such a prominent role unless timetables and resources enable them to do so. Gareth Conyard, the deputy director of the DfE's teacher workforce development team, said mentoring will be "central" to the government's new early career framework. The department is currently considering whether "having a mentor sit in with" trainees in class would be more beneficial than theory-based training, he told delegates at a Westminster Education Forum event. He said having mentors "sit in" and observe trainees while they manage a class had been suggested as "more effective practice" than simply
More from The Key
Bitesize training with a big impact
Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.
Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.
Get safeguarding peace of mind this summer term
Walk into the summer term with everything you need to maintain safeguarding vigilance in your school.
Download our summer term briefing pack, available for free to DSLs for a limited time only.
- Need-to-know: Academy Trust Handbook 2022 published 24 Aug 2022 19:02
- Need-to-know: Keeping Children Safe in Education (KCSIE) updated for 2022 20 May 2022 14:02
- Need-to-know: DfE launches consultation on changes to behaviour and exclusion guidance 4 Feb 2022 09:29
- Need-to-know: DfE publishes new statutory guidance on the cost of school uniform 19 Nov 2021 08:51
- Need-to-know: STPCD 2021 published 4 Oct 2021 10:30