Last reviewed on 23 April 2021
School types: All · School phases: All
Ref: 42512

All your governors/academy trustees, members and local governors must have:

  • An enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
  • A barred list check if they're engaging in regulated activity at your school

If you're an academy or independent school:

If you're a maintained school, you should also get a section 128 check for your governors. This isn't a statutory requirement, but you should conduct this check because a section 128 direction disqualifies a person from being a governor of