Schools need an extra £5.7 billion, says ASCL
School funding must be increased by £5.7 billion if every child is to receive the education they deserve, according to a new report from the Association of School and College Leaders. The report, The true cost of education, warns that primary and secondary schools in England require £40.2 billion funding in 2019-20, but are only set to receive £34.5 billion. The union calculated the figure by working out how many teachers and support staff will be needed to support the number of pupils in the system next year. An ASCL survey of 407 secondary headteachers, also published today, found that almost all respondents (404) had made budget cuts since 2015, with 60 per cent saying the cuts were "severe". Speaking at the association's annual conference in Birmingham today, ASCL president Richard Sherriff warned schools will have to make deeper cuts or face insolvency unless funding improves. "We have analysed what it costs to provide the education service that our society expects and our
More from The Key
Bitesize training with a big impact
Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.
Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.
Get safeguarding peace of mind this summer term
Walk into the summer term with everything you need to maintain safeguarding vigilance in your school.
Download our summer term briefing pack, available for free to DSLs for a limited time only.
- Need-to-know: Academy Trust Handbook 2022 published 24 Aug 2022 19:02
- Need-to-know: Keeping Children Safe in Education (KCSIE) updated for 2022 20 May 2022 14:02
- Need-to-know: DfE launches consultation on changes to behaviour and exclusion guidance 4 Feb 2022 09:29
- Need-to-know: DfE publishes new statutory guidance on the cost of school uniform 19 Nov 2021 08:51
- Need-to-know: STPCD 2021 published 4 Oct 2021 10:30