Drugs policies: guidance and examples
Find support with writing or reviewing your school’s drugs policy, with guidance from the DfE on what to include and examples of policies from schools.
Read DfE advice on writing a drugs policy
The Department for Education (DfE) and the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) have jointly published non-statutory drugs advice for schools.
Annex A contains a suggested framework for a drugs policy. It lists areas that a drugs policy may cover, including:
- The policy’s development process
- The context of the policy and its relationship to other policies
- Where and to whom the policy applies
- Definitions and terminology
- Management of drugs at school and on school trips
- Police involvement
- Information sharing
- The role of governors
See primary school examples
Community school in Stockton-on-Tees
Tilery Primary School has a drugs and alcohol policy (find this under 'Safeguarding') that includes:
- A definition of a 'drug'
- The roles and responsibilities of staff members
- Details of the school's approach to drugs education
Community school in Coventry
Curriculum organisation and planning for